Pretty much everything we do here at Home + Range has been inspired by this place where we’re headquartered – our edge of the Colorado Plateau here in southwest Colorado. My artwork and design ideas are drawn directly from the landscape and its inhabitants and Home + Range’s line of farm-inspired products grew out of my experiences in this farming community. It’s a place far away from cities and traffic and isn’t always the most convenient place to live, but there’s never a doubt it’s one of the most beautiful.
So in honor of Valentines Day and the waning days of winter, I thought we’d share some things we’ve been loving the past few months. How about…
* Winter sunsets over Sleeping Ute Mountain. They’ll be migrating north along the western horizon until the Summer Solstice, so this is the best time of year to see that desert island mountain backed by a brilliant sky.
* Our favorite destination restaurant, The Argentine Grill in Rico, CO re-opened yesterday! Welcome back Eamonn! Can’t wait for some Carrot Ginger Bisque and Grilled Angus Beef Filet!
* Afternoon hikes at Mud Springs where the snow is packed and Sleeping Ute Mountain feels like just a stone’s throw away.
* KSJD’s Raven Narratives, stories from the High Desert connecting us with each other and the places where we live. A quarterly live performance and podcast.
* Bald eagle sightings in trees along the Dolores River and soaring high overhead around the county.
* The Pie Maker, our favorite place for warm sweets on a cold day.
* Piñon Salve… how did we ever keep our winter feet and hands soft and crack-free without it?? Lucky for us we’re surrounded by Piñon trees whose sap is the key healing ingredient in this concoction. Available locally and coming soon to Home + Range!
Got some things to add to the list? We’d love to hear them!